So it’s detox season – that’s come around again hasn’t it? And what better way to celebrate (?) than with this hearty warming Cleansing Detox Soup. I’m just not very good at being hungry so whilst I agree that January is a good time to take stock of your dietary goals, I’m not prepared to starve myself doing it!
There are lots and lots of detox plans doing the rounds at the moment, from full-on juices cleanses, to quitting sugar, to dry January and more. You could even treat yourself to a whole day of detox on my Nutrition & Yoga Detox Day Retreat ;). However you choose to take a break from the foods and drinks that contribute to symptoms of sluggishness, fatigue, headaches, bloating etc, do make sure you include plenty of cleansing foods to help your body feel the best it possibly can.
This simple soup packs a real punch in both the flavour and the detoxifying departments, combining a powerful blend of vegetables and herbs which give the liver a little nudge in the right direction. It’s also wonderfully hydrating and balancing for the kidneys which could well be feeling more like prunes after the recent festivities.
Enjoy this cleansing detox soup as a light lunch or supper if you are wanting to reduce the toxic load on your body and rid yourself of some of the excesses of the winter months. The garlic is also a strong antiviral thereby boosting your immune function – runny noses anyone?
It can be served either chunky or blended, however you prefer. And it really couldn’t be simpler to prepare.
Recipe for Cleansing Detox Soup
- 3 courgettes, quartered and sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 150g green beans, sliced
- Large bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried green herbs of your choice eg. rosemary, oregano, thyme, mixed herbs
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 750mls filtered water
- Add all of the ingredients to a large soup pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes
- Can be left chunky or blended into a smooth soup